Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Break



Well last weekend Jay and I went to Pahrump, Nevada for a defensive handgun course. For those of you who don't know where that is its west of las vegas. My cousin Mark teaches the concealed weapons permit class and Jay and I took that but I have still been scared of my gun. I've always shot rifles growing up but the thought of have a loaded pistol on my hip or in my purse made me nervous. Well Mark has a membership to this place called front sight and as a member he could bring up to 40 people to attend a class at no charge so he invited us and we decided to go. We planned this back in the summer and I wasn't pregnant then but I decided to tough it out and go. It was 4 ten hour days of learning and shooting, we shot about 600 rounds of ammo. It was really fun and it made me so much more comfortable with my gun, plus it was really fun to hang out with my cousins, we hardly ever see eachother and when we do we are always chasing kids so it was nice to be adults. It was really nice for Jay and I to get away and be reminded that we are more than just mom and dad all the time. Plus the kids got to be spoiled rotten by Grandma Turner and Grandma and Grandpa Estes! I would encourage all couples to take a break and go away somewhere or send the kids to grandmas even if its just for a night. The pictures are of Jay shooting the bad guy target and the one of me is dark but it shows what the bullet looks like coming out of the gun so I thought it was way cool!!

3 comments:

Abes and Stace said...

Sounds like fun! Abe and I are looking into getting guns - but boy am I paranoid about it with kids in the house. I always think of that little Hansen boy down the street who died walking with his dad's gun.
Anyway, I contacted Mark about taking his class but now Abram isn't sure if he wants to take it or just get a gun to keep in the house. I can't really see us carrying around our guns at all but who knows when we may need to in the future. Signs of the times are everywhere.
I think I may pee my pants the first time I actually shoot a gun. Yep, I'm a "shooter" virgin, surprise, surprise!!
Hopefully I'll see you on Friday! Let me know if I need to get Holly the money for your tickets or what. For mine she just paid her friend and I dropped a check off to her that night but I'm not sure how you would do that with you living in Nephi.

Abes and Stace said...

Wow that was a long-A post. Who do I think I am anyway?!

Anonymous said...

It was alot of fun to see you at Front Sight!!! It was fun to talk to everyone. I feel like we don't see each other often enough. I think that I learned alot too. I feel alot more comfortable with a gun now. I was sooooo tired after we came home....and I still am. Hopefully we can see you during the holidays!!!